ஸ்ரீ வெங்கடேச சுப்ரபாதம்  

Posted by Ray in

I don't think I'm going too far by saying that Sri Venkatesa Suprabatham is probably the only song in India that got its identity by the singer and not by the author/ composer. (Another one that comes close is கந்த சஷ்டி கவசம் by Soolamangalam Sisters )I know people who only accept Smt. MS Subbulakshmi's rendition of the Suprabatham.

Though I never understood the meaning of Sri Venkatesa Suprabatham, I understood it better when I heard the Tamil version. One Dr. Parthasarathy has provided both the translation and transliteration. Once you know the meaning, I'm sure you will appreciate it more. Smt. Subbulakshmi renders the tamil version with a divine voice. To read both the translation and transliteration click here.

It has been more than 40 years since Smt. MS Subbulakshmi sang in the United Nations. A very good article can be read here. A remix version of Suprabatham has sprung up on the internet. Though it is nice to hear, there is no divinity in the music.

This entry was posted on August 26, 2008 at Tuesday, August 26, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment